Make a Comment to NCPR

NCPR is supported by:

An NPR Blog:
NPR Ombudsman:
The public's rep. to NPR is journalist Edward Schumacher-Matos. Contact
Newest Posts:

Comment Line:

Call our new toll-free listener line at 1-866-233-1420 and tell us what's on your mind. (Leave your name, where you listen, and whether we may use your message on air.)

Comment Policy:

Before you comment: NCPR welcomes views and opinions from all. However, we require polite behavior in this public space. No name-calling, obscene language, personal attacks, racial slurs or libel. Rule of thumb: do not say anything in a comment that you would not say in an on-air call-in.

This comment space is intended to relate directly to the contents of the accompanying story. You should listen to the story, or read its transcript (if available) before commenting.

Offensive comments: NCPR employs community moderation to help keep the conversation civil. If you feel that a comment is offensive, click the "Flag" link at the bottom of the comment, and click "OK" when prompted "Is this an inappropriate message?". Any comment that has been flagged by three different readers is automatically removed from the conversation. Please remember that "I disagree" is not the same as "This is inappropriate."

North Country Public Radio Online reserves the right to remove or decline to display any comment for any reason. Full privacy policy.

General comment archive

News/Features Comments

(Click link below comment to find the original news story; make new comments at the original story location)

Recent Comments

Powered by Disqus

In Box Comments

(Click link above comment to read the original In Box post; make new comments at the original post location)
08/18/2014 9:20:54 am
Thanks Ellen for your thoughts and story. I have four granddaughters in my life now, and I do not know how I would have handle something like this if it had been my family. In my full time job as dep. Town Clerk, I processed a lot of births and deaths in the Canton Amish community and know a lot of these families. We would often talk about their lifestyle and share stories about our children. I was sickened by...

08/17/2014 7:28:47 pm
What a sad world we are living in ... those monsters shattered the amish... and the amish forgive... I can't on this or any other child molster...

08/17/2014 7:39:44 am
Another misconception. It wasn't 150 years ago that we were so similar, it was up into the 1930's. IT was the centralized school districts that really moved the Amish out of the mainstream. An Amish friend tells me his parents both attended public school until 1938 or so. They aren't stuck in a time warp anymore than we are. Truth be told, some of the nicer homes in my town are Amish and the nicest farms are all...

08/16/2014 9:57:35 pm
Well said Ellen! I too am friends with Abe & Lizzie and other members of Lizzie's family......I count myself lucky to be accepted at table in a number of Amish homes- I hope that this may also be a beginning- most of we "english" do not really know our Amish neighbors- course I am Irish not English! LOL.....but perhaps now we can see past the buggies/roadside stands........150 years ago most of us were...

08/16/2014 9:02:12 pm
Well, I guess I'm wrong. At least according to the current story in the NY Times. All very strange!

08/16/2014 2:11:57 pm
You can find Stephen Howells II and Nicole Vaisey on Facebook easy as pie, and I'll tell you what-- they don't look remotely like monsters. I don't pretend to know what went on, but I'm not at all sure that it's what we're all assuming.

08/16/2014 8:53:56 am
I wish people would figure out that the Amish are just people, not saints, not ignorant Luddites, not backward and, for the most part, not wearing their religion on their sleeve. It's more lifestyle than just religion and each church is a little different from the next. I know Amish families that travel several miles from their homes to attend church with a particular Bishop rather go to the one run by their...

08/16/2014 8:13:57 am
Thank you for this heart-felt and intelligent piece, Ellen. This is meaningful reporting, and I am pleased to see my photo accompanying it.

08/16/2014 7:32:27 am
Years ago as an undergrad at a small college in Ohio in the heart of Amish country I took a course called Amish Religion and Life. It was taught by a German professor. He had written a book and it was used in the course along with other materials. It wasn't an academic or scholarly work, though very well written. But its title, Our Amish Neighbors, said everything. And, if this unfortunate event makes English and...

08/15/2014 9:00:57 pm
This is the story that should be heard on the national media.

08/15/2014 9:00:57 pm
This is the story that should be heard on the national media.

08/15/2014 8:21:29 pm
On the 90% (or 92%) top tax rate, finally...finally! ... A conservative who seems to understand that the top tax rate in a progressive tax system only applies to the income above the next level lower, and so on. So the rich pay no more on their first $10,000 in income (generally speaking) than the poor do, nor the next $10,000, and so on. True that people who make more than about $113,000 don't pay any payroll tax...

08/15/2014 8:15:23 pm
Synchronicity, today Ford announced they will discontinue the Econoline van.

08/15/2014 8:09:01 pm
what a relief the girls have returned. thanks Ellen. we are indeed one human family

08/15/2014 7:53:28 pm
The thought of any child being taken from parents and their own surroundings is just unimaginable. Never knowing where they are or what they may suffer would keep most from sleeping at night. I too am ashamed of our society and the lack of morals of some.i do not believe they targeted Amish. I believe that they took what was easiest to get. Shame on them and I pray that they are caught and do time for what they have...

08/15/2014 7:47:30 pm
Very well said.

08/15/2014 7:38:09 pm
Good job Ellen.

08/15/2014 6:27:01 pm
Yes, Ellen well said. I too felt guilt for our 'English ways' and your friends comments help, but oddly I also find solace that they are 'people of faith' and that is sustaining for them.

08/15/2014 4:13:31 pm
Amen, Ellen. We are indeed relieved. Children are so widely in peril.

08/15/2014 12:51:32 pm
You apparently gave up several posts back, Larry.