Make a Comment to NCPR

NCPR is supported by:

An NPR Blog:
NPR Ombudsman:
The public's rep. to NPR is journalist Edward Schumacher-Matos. Contact
Newest Posts:

Comment Line:

Call our new toll-free listener line at 1-866-233-1420 and tell us what's on your mind. (Leave your name, where you listen, and whether we may use your message on air.)

Comment Policy:

Before you comment: NCPR welcomes views and opinions from all. However, we require polite behavior in this public space. No name-calling, obscene language, personal attacks, racial slurs or libel. Rule of thumb: do not say anything in a comment that you would not say in an on-air call-in.

This comment space is intended to relate directly to the contents of the accompanying story. You should listen to the story, or read its transcript (if available) before commenting.

Offensive comments: NCPR employs community moderation to help keep the conversation civil. If you feel that a comment is offensive, click the "Flag" link at the bottom of the comment, and click "OK" when prompted "Is this an inappropriate message?". Any comment that has been flagged by three different readers is automatically removed from the conversation. Please remember that "I disagree" is not the same as "This is inappropriate."

North Country Public Radio Online reserves the right to remove or decline to display any comment for any reason. Full privacy policy.

General comment archive

News/Features Comments

(Click link below comment to find the original news story; make new comments at the original story location)

Recent Comments

Powered by Disqus

In Box Comments

(Click link above comment to read the original In Box post; make new comments at the original post location)
04/19/2014 4:21:02 pm
I'm one of those rare birds who lives in non-big city America and bikes everywhere virtually all year round. So I thought the concept of bike share was good. I looked at Bixi when I went to Montreal but it was just way too expensive. A flat rate each time you used it plus a per time rate that skyrocketed if you used it more than two hours. Buying a daily metro pass was far cheaper. Hopefully the execution is better...

04/18/2014 9:16:57 pm
...and she has the support of Tom Jenison....oooooooooh.... Now THERE'S something to be proud of.

04/18/2014 6:58:58 pm
Brian cites one of many possible "mistakes" that can invalidate a petition. I have passed nominating petitions several times and I'm not exactly clear on all the potential pitfalls. There are mistakes that can invalidate a whole page of signatures, such as the witness making a mistake in marking the count or the wrong county, but can individual signatures be strikes if they don't mark a date? If a person uses an...

04/18/2014 6:08:25 pm
The article says that Matt Doheny has the support to the Republican Party, but links to a statement of support from the state Independence Party. Elise Stefanik has the support of most of the Republican Party county chairs.

04/18/2014 5:41:41 pm
A "who has the most money" report. Annnd, I've gotten requests for donations in my email but, I've yet to hear their positions on any issues. From any of them. Compared to the hoopla around this seat when Owens first ran this campaign is almost top secret, except that they want donations of course. I'm tempted to agree with Wavy Gravy the the best person for the job is "nobody".

04/17/2014 9:45:33 am
"But if in signing a petition, you cite your address as BML..." Correction: on petitions, you cite your residence.

04/17/2014 9:44:36 am
OL (and others): One of the difficulties with this issue is how shockingly easy it is for an ordinary, even fairly well-informed person to make a mistake on a petition. For example, let’s say you live in Blue Mountain Lake. You work in BML. You recreate in BML. You tell people you’re from BML. You receive your mail addressed to BML by the United States Postal Service at Zip 12812. But if in signing a...

04/16/2014 9:51:50 am
As someone who has had a petition for local office challenged, as well as a supporter this year of fellow Green Party member Matt Funiciello, I hope the "few voters" who are challenging petitions will be identified by the media. If they can then be linked to any of the campaigns, the rest of us voters should take that info into consideration when choosing a candidate to support, work for, and/or vote for on primary...

04/16/2014 9:17:55 am
Agreed, Brian. If more people did as you do we wouldn't have to worry about technicalities.

04/16/2014 9:14:05 am
OL: I spent hours collecting signatures for one of the challenged candidates. I will not be happy if that choice is taken away from me (and you and everyone else) on a technicality.

04/16/2014 7:50:08 am
Jim, most of the candidates have been out in the district at public events. It is more difficult for the less well funded candidates to find time to get to all areas considering that our district is bigger than several states.

04/15/2014 7:07:10 pm
The people do decide, Brian, at least those who care to get involved do. The rest get back what they put in: nothing.

04/15/2014 5:37:47 pm
Aside from reports of how much money they've raked in when are we going to hear about the ideas and policies they are running on? It appears they are only talking to those who have bundles of cash to offer. That pretty much tells you who they will represent if elected regardless of which party banner they ran under.

04/15/2014 5:17:55 pm
I hope no one gets "lawyered" off the ballot as so often happens (especially to smaller party candidates). Let the people decide, all the people, not just "a few."

04/13/2014 4:12:43 pm
Thanks to both Lucy and Brian!

04/10/2014 10:39:54 am
I was surprised that Péladeau's intervention seemed to shake things up so much. Independence is pretty much the raison d'être for the PQ. I would expect any PQ candidate to support secession. My sense is that the PQ was elected in disgust with the corruption scandals of the Liberals who governed until 2012, not so much for anything they themselves stood for. They won narrowly with less than 32% of...

04/09/2014 9:58:09 pm
I'm sorry oa. Because of impending travel I don't have a lot of time to respond to your question. Off the top of my fuzzy little head,, I think the specter of another try at secession came up earlier than your timeline, more like as soon as Pierre Karl Péladeau entered the fray, stating he was in it to make Quebec a nation. Besides introducing panic over succession, that individual also angers the...

04/09/2014 9:28:19 pm
Thanks, Lucy. Great post. One question: I read that the PQ was actually looking like a winner running on the values charter (which had an anti-immigrant basis) and lost the election when it morphed into re-opening the secession question in the final 10 days or so. How valid is that view?

04/09/2014 2:35:17 pm
These post have been very good. But it seems like the In Box has completely transformed into the place to go for cross-border news issues.

04/09/2014 11:46:52 am
I learned a lot, it was good.