to New@NCPR NCPR
North Country Public Radio's UpNorth Music Concert Series at Asgaard Farm August 16
Performers | Artisans | Food
Join host Todd Moe and North Country Public Radio staff at the UpNorth Music Concert at Asgaard Farm in Au Sable Forks, NY, Saturday, August 16 from 2-6 pm.
Bring a blanket or lawn chair, sit under the big music tent and enjoy performances by Althea Jean, Mark Tolstrup, Dan Hammond and Shu.
Browse the artisan showcase and sale, sample regional foods and tour the grounds of Asgaard, a producing farm and sustainable forest property, once the historic home of artist, writer, adventurer and political activist Rockwell Kent.
Admission is free, but advance reservations are recommended. Additional reservations for this event have now been made available. Write firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-388-6277.
Special thanks to: Asgaard Farm, Jay Entertainment and Music Society and the St. Lawrence County Arts Council.
UpNorth Music is supported by The New York State Music Fund established by the New York State Attorney General at Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors.
Asgaard farm as depicted by artist Rockwell Kent in the painting "Clover Fields."
Asgaard Farm is the historic home of artist, writer, adventurer and political activist Rockwell Kent. Today Asgaard is a producing farm and sustainable forest property.
Concert Line-up (in order of appearance) 3-6PM
- Althea Jean (old time/world): It would be hard to say where the home base of this band is, since members live in Canton, the Adirondacks, and even Montreal. They often perform in the 1000 Islands. Althea Jean is a terrific live band.
- Mark Tolstrup (blues): The powerful voice Mark brings to his blues act is a legacy of his years performing on the street, where you have to sing out to be heard. He still vividly remembers playing through the night on Bourbon St. in New Orleans. Mark's 1930s national steel body resonator guitar is perfect for the slide playing he favors.
- Dan Hammond (Caribbean steel drums): A steel drum is a surprise in the North Country, but Dan Hammond believes this Caribbean instrument is a great match for the sun, water and resorts of the 1000 Islands. In addition to playing Caribbean style music, he adapts local music, such as old-time fiddle tunes, to the instrument.
- Shu (funk/ska/jazz): Ska, a rhythmically up-tempo precursor to reggae, is a strong musical influence on this band's sound. Like most of the bands NCPR recorded in the UpNorth series though, their songs reflect other musical interests. Shu toured the Northeast extensively in the 1990s, mostly performing for university crowds.
Artisan Showcase and Sale 2-6 pm
- James Bullard - Photography of nature & Adirondack landscapes (West Stockholm, NY)
- Design Galaxy - McGuire - Celestial dreams & imaginary events in acrylic on canvas (Cape Vincent, NY)
- Cecilia Thompson - Watercolor miniatures that reflect the light & beauty of nature (Alex Bay, NY)
- Vera LaRoe - Oil paintings & watercolors of the Adirondacks, Vermont, and sometimes a bit of Florida (from Massena, NY)
- Four Directions Weaving - Donna Foley - Handwoven tapestries, rugs, shawls, scarves & throws including some hand-dyed & handspun yarns (Vermontville, NY)
- Point of View -Diane Leifheit - Pastel paintings of Adirondack landscapes, garden florals, and travels to the Yucatan ( Paul Smiths, NY)
- Gail McKay - Acrylic paintings of land & waterscapes that capture a mood or a moment in broad colors & shapes (Lake Placid, NY)
- Spruce Mountain Designs - Suellen McMillen - Gold & silver jewelry inspired by the nature & history of the Adirondacks (Lake Placid, NY)
- Silver Bench Jewelry - Lisa Nortz - Traditional silversmith forging & creation of chains, pendants, bracelets, earrings, pins & more (Croghan, NY)
- Natural Expressions - Jeri Wright - Photographic images of the natural environment (Wilmington, NY)
- Buttons Buttons - Barbara B. Smith - One of a kind decorative pillows with unique findings & antique fabrics (Jay, NY)
- Completely Claudia - Claudia Loomis-Chandler - Handwoven baskets, weaving, artwork & cards in pen & ink, watercolor, and oil ( Croghan, NY)
- Genuine Gems - Michelle & Keith Benham - Pendants, rings, & earrings with faceted gems & cabochons set in sterling silver jewelry (Massena, NY)
- Susan Camp Studio - Susan Camp - Silver & gold jewelry with gemstone & leather accents in unique designs that are reminiscent of places & special moments (Saranac Lake, NY)
- Dragonfly Pottery - Ann & John Donovan - Raku, stoneware & porcelain pottery & one of a kind creations, often using local clay (Redwood, NY)
- Adirondack Landscapes & Mandalas - Sandra Hildreth - Adirondack wilderness landscapes & wildflowers in oil and watercolor portrayed in the geometric structure of Tibetan Buddhist mandalas.(Saranac Lake, NY)
- Jackie Altman - Specializing in Adirondack Landscapes and Florals (Lake Placid, NY)
- Youngs Studio & Gallery Sue Burdick Young & Terrance Young Hand-thrown functional stoneware pottery, hand painted silk scarves, and handmade books featuring handmade paper. Jay, NY
- TAUNY - Traditional Arts in Upstate New York, featuring art from around the region
- St. Lawrence County Arts Council - a non-profit organization dedicated to developing and promoting the arts in northern New York.
- Jay Craft Center - Procelain and stoneware pottery from the scenic
Adriondack Mountain village of Jay, NY
- Near North Art Watercolors, oil and prints from Susan Cassevaugh Jay, NY
- Loon Images and More Wildlife photography, prints and note cards from Joe Woody
- Graphics North Photographic prints, notecards and books of original poetry from Nadine McLaughlin Jay, NY
- Mark Kurtz One of the founding members of the Adirondack Artists Guild, and widely recognized as one of the Adirondack region's preeminent artists. Saranac Lake, NY
Food: 2-6 pm
- Asgaard Farm, Au Sable Forks, NY: Goat Cheese and Pork BBQ Sandwiches (Pork from Yellow House Farm, Jay, NY)
- Dogwood Bread Company, Wadhams, NY: Artisan breads, scones, cinnamon rolls, cookies, granola, and roast coffee
- Green Goddess Foods, Lake Placid, NY: Wraps, smoothies and more
- Black Kettle Farm, Essex, NY: Pies and salads
- Stewarts Ice Cream, Saratoga Springs, NY
- St. Lawrence Chocolate Bars, Potsdam, NY
- Coopers Cave Sodas, Glens Falls, NY
- Frontenac Springs Water, Clayton, NY
Visit Rockwell Kents Art Studio at Asgaard and view a photo exhibit on loan from the Rockwell Kent Gallery and Collection at SUNY Plattsburgh. Learn more about Rockwell Kent and the Kent Gallery.