Give Now NCPR is made possible by
Your Donations

Benefit Events

The Belle of Amherst Benefit Performance

Saturday, December 10, 7:00 pm

Bluseed Studios

24 Cedar Street, Saranac Lake, NY [Map]

William Luce's one-woman play depicting the life of 19th-century American poet Emily Dickinson performed by Kathleen Recchia on Dickinson's 181st Birthday. A Benefit for Town of Jay Hurricane Irene Victims.
Suggested donation $10.00

For more info:
Phone: (518) 946-8323

Benefit CDs

The Water is WideThe Water is Wide, Martha Gallagher, the Adirondack Harper. Proceeds will go to the Adirondack Community Trust, to benefit Adirondack communities. More information

VermontVermont: Vermont Artists for VT Relief, on Malletts Bay Records. Proceeds will go to the Vermont Red Cross. More information

Irene Flooding Aid Resources and News

How to give/get help

NCPR is focusing its effort on flood stricken areas of the Adirondacks in New York. Vermont Public Radio has a great collection of information on Aid resources for stricken communities in Vermont:
Vermont Resources After Tropical Storm Irene

Contributing Money:

  • The Keene Community Trust, in partnership with the Adirondack Community Trust, has launched a Flood Recovery Fund to assist the residents, seasonal residents and business owners of Town of Keene, NY (including the hamlets of Keene, Keene Valley and St. Huberts) recover from the flood damage resulting from Tropical Storm Irene. A special account has been established to receive contributions for distribution for those in need. Donate online via ACT. Or make a check payable to Keene Community Trust Flood Recovery Fund and mail it to: The Adirondack Community Trust, P.O. Box 288, Lake Placid, NY  12946

  • The Town of Jay (including Au Sable Forks, Upper Jay, and Jay) has created the Town of Jay Irene Relief Fund. Donate online at or make a check payable to Jay Flood Relief Fund, and mail it to: The Adirondack Community Trust, PO Box 288, Lake Placid, NY  12946.

  • Donate to the Northeastern New York Red Cross
    (this chapter serves Keene, Keene Valley, and Jay)

  • Donate to the Vermont & NH Valley Red Cross

  • Donate to The Salvation Army for Irene disaster relief and specific community support

  • Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Ogdenburg is accepting donations specifically for Irene victims and will be part of the on-going relief efforts. Donations (payable to Catholic Charities - "Irene response") should be sent to Catholic Charities, 6866 State Highway 37, Ogdensburg NY 13669.

  • United Methodist Committee on Relief is accepting donations for Irene relief. 100% of contributions will go to the relief effort. No funds will be used for administration and transportation. Donation page.

Volunteering Labor and Contributing Relief Supplies:

While the financial and governmental aspects of the relief effort are pretty straightforward, we are still trying to put together a clear picture on how to coordinate volunteer and material support to the stricken region.

  • From the In Box: The Plattsburgh Press Republican is reporting that the town of Jay needs manual laborers and they've offered instructions for how you can pitch in.

    The Town of Jay Supervisor's Office is seeking volunteers to help those still in need of manual labor.  Jobs would include moving items out of people's basements, packaging, shoveling mud out of cellars and more.  People who are interested in helping are asked to contact the Town of Jay Supervisor's Office at 518-647-2204 or 518-647-2201 as soon as possible. Leave your name and number for a list being compiled to help residents.

  • Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD), coordinates between FEMA and a large number of faith-based and civic relief groups in disaster areas. You can find their NY website here: The FEMA office, set up Monday in Au Sable Town Hall, can be reached through the FEMA hotline number: 1-800-621-3362

    VOAD is soliciting requests from specific individuals and businesses that need debris removal and mud-out assistance. The request form can be found here:

  • The "211" information and referral service in the affected region is run through Adirondack United Way. They should be able to coordinate folks who need assistance with those who want to serve. If you are outside the area, or live in an area not served by "211," call the alternate toll-free number 1-888-774-0289.

  • Relief Supplies. While it appears that some kinds of relief supplies can be delivered to town halls or fire departments in the region, we do not have a specific list of distribution centers, or of most-needed items. If you can help fill in the gaps on this, please post your info in a comment at the bottom of the page.

    Due to the logistical problems in receiving, storing and distributing donated supplies, the most practical relief supply may be a cash donation to a disaster relief group or fund, or to the volunteer emergency services in the area, such as a local fire/rescue squad.

Accessing Government Services and Making Claims

  • If you or someone you know sustained losses or damage, you may be eligible for disaster aid through the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

    FEMA has opened a disaster Recovery Center in Essex County at:

Town Hall
11 School Street
Au Sable Forks, NY 12912

You may apply for aid by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or via the web here: If you are speech and hearing impaired you may also apply by calling TTY: 1-800-462-7585. When applying, please have the following information available:

    1. Social Security Number (including spouse);
    2. Private insurance information, if available;
    3. Address and zip code of the damaged property;
    4. Directions to the damaged home or property; and
    5. Daytime telephone number.
  • You may be elegible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance, if:
    • You were injured in the disaster and are unable to work, whether you are an employee or self-employed.
    • Your workplace was damaged or destroyed
    • Your transportation to work is not available
    • You cannot get to your job because you must travel through the affected area
    • You were about to begin working, but could not because of the disaster.
    • You derived most of your income from areas affected by the hurricane and your business is down as a direct result of the disaster

      To apply for DUA, call the FEMA Telephone Claims Center (TCC) at 1-888-209-8124 or
      1-877-358-5306 if you live out of state.  Have your Social Security number, earnings from your most recent tax year and employment history available when you call. The deadline to apply for DUA is October 3, 2011.

  • Individuals and businesses who have suffered loss in the declared disaster area may be elegible for low-interest loan assistance from the Small Business Administration (SBA). Applications can be made through FEMA at 800-621-FEMA (3362), or online here: Deadline for physical property damage loans: October 31, 2011. Deadline for economic injury loans: May 31, 2012.

  • Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that he has sent the Superintendent of the state Department of Financial Services (DFS) Benjamin Lawsky to areas hit hard by Hurricane Irene to provide insurance assistance to New Yorkers in need and to set up onsite counseling centers. Wednesday, the Superintendent will be in Keene, NY.

    Superintendent Lawsky urges New Yorkers affected by the storm to call the Department of Financial Services Disaster Hotline (800-339-1759) or to visit the DFS website ( if they have any questions.

  • Food Stamp recipients could be eligible for replacement of food lost as a result of the storm. The NY State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) says that Food Stamp recipients who lost food as a result of Hurricane Irene can obtain replacement Food Stamp benefits. These benefits will only be issued to replace food that was purchased with Food Stamps. New Yorkers who think they may be eligible for replacement Food Stamp benefits can contact their local department of social services, or visit, fill out the form and submit it to their local social services office to request replacement.


Post Finding/Giving Aid Information