Known for the emotional range of his solo work, vibraphonist Joe Locke has established himself as a composer, bandleader and educator. He has recorded with artists such as Eddie Henderson and Grover Washington Jr., and he continues to tour worldwide.
In this episode of Piano Jazz, Locke performs his original composition "Seven Beauties" on piano, as well as a medley of songs by Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon on vibes. Host Marian McPartland joins in for a duet of the standard "I Should Care."
Originally broadcast in the fall of 1996.
- "I Should Care" (Cahn, Stordahl, Weston)
- "My One And Only" (Wood, Mellin)
- "The Days Of Wine And Roses" (Mancini)
- "Seven Beauties" (Locke)
- "If I Should Lose You" (Rainger, Robin)
- "Both Sides Now"/Theme From Working Girl (Mitchell/Simon)
- "Au Privave" (Parker)