Apr 21, 2014 — Four years ago, hundreds of children died, exposed to lead dust that was everywhere, created in a rush to process ore for gold. Nigeria is finding its own path to curb that dust — and save kids.
Nov 22, 2013 — When an Afghan toddler in Albuquerque was tested for lead at preschool, the child's blood levels were off the charts. A baby's brother's was, too. Why? It turns out that kajal, a traditional eyeliner used by the family, was 54 percent lead. It's a reminder of the health hazards posed by traditional cosmetics.
Feb 6, 2013 — Thousands of kids have been exposed to toxic levels of lead around illegal gold mines in northern Nigeria. After months of delay, the Nigerian government has released money to clean up the lead in these areas.
Dec 6, 2012 — Last spring, the Nigerian government pledged millions of dollars to decontaminate a region where hundreds of kids have died from severe lead poisoning. So far, none of the money has been released. The delay in the cleanup puts thousands of kids at risk of getting sick, public health advocates say.
Sep 30, 2012 — Gold ore mined in northern Nigeria is mixed with lead. When the ore is dug up, crushed and processed, the lead escapes into the air and settles on the ground. Children are being poisoned when they swallow lead-contaminated dust and dirt.
May 16, 2012 — The public health honchos agreed with an expert panel that recommended in January that anything greater than 5 micrograms per deciliter of blood for kids 5 and younger should be considered dangerous. That's half the current standard and represents the first reduction since 1991.
Mar 2, 2012 — Lead poisoning in children can be reduced by cleaning up pregnant women's homes, according to a new study. That would be better than waiting until children are exposed to identify the problem, experts say. But the cleanups are expensive, and money is tight.
Jan 5, 2012 — Children should never live in a house with lead paint, according to a federal advisory committee charged with trying to reduce children's exposure to the toxic metal. The panel recommended lowering the threshold for lead exposure to reflect growing evidence that even slight exposure can harm.