Steve Hearst with the Department of Environmental Conservation says they case was strange enough that scientists want the public to report any other cases of sick deer.
"We don't see this often, the presentation was unique. And that's why we've reached out to the public because we don't usually see deer in this kind of condition with a swollen head and neck,' Hearst said. "It had some drooling going on and some nasal discharge. So we said this one's kind of an interesting one, so we want to take a look at it and see if there are any more out there."
The deer was found in mid-December but the bacteria was only identified last week. The DEC says there is no danger to humans, though venison from sick animals should always be thrown away.