Feb 10, 2012 — Crews from ten fire departments were at SUNY Canton today, after a reported explosion and fire. A spokesman for the school says it happened in a chemistry lab, on the north end of the Cook Science Center.
No injuries had been reported.
NCPR was on the scene at around 12:30 this afternoon, and ran into John Stafford of Canton Fire and Rescue...
"Cooke, there's a fire in Cook Hall. There's toxic fumes. So they need to stay out of there... we've got fire departments from all over, rescue squads, everything going here."
Stafford was wearing a yellow mask over his head and mouth to protect him from the chemical smoke. The campus center was closed, and officials were stationed along campus roadways, preventing people getting too close.
Surrounding buildings were evacuated. Student Jeremy Coleman was walking around campus looking a little dazed. A few minutes earlier, he'd been asleep in his dorm...
"They came banging on the door, saying everyone has to leave, the building is being evacuated."
Fire officials said all firefighters will have to go through a decontamination process. It is not known whether anyone was in the lab when the fire began. Arson investigators are reportedly looking into the matter.