In the Gunnison bell tower Alex Merrill (left) a member of the St. Lawrence Class of 2013 and the fifth in three generations of his family to be a "chimer," plays with Robert Gould (1955) and Danica Cunningham (2013) during commencement weekend. Photo: Martha Cooper/TAUNY Archives
Oct 08, 2013 — Sunday morning's fire in Gunnison Memorial Chapel heavily damaged the bell tower, but the ten bells of the carillon were spared. Built in 1926, the chapel's tolling bells have been a staple of St. Lawrence campus and community life. During the fire, the wooden beam that held the bells burned, but luckily the bells came to rest on the tower's concrete floor. St. Lawrence University will pay tribute to the bells with a community gathering near the chapel at 5 o'clock this afternoon. "The Bells will Ring Again" will include musical tributes to the chapel bells.
In December 2003, Todd Moe climbed the bell tower for an up close look and listen to the bells and the student ringers.