Dec 16, 2005 — A column of black smoke rose over Lake Placid yesterday as part of a historic restaurant and resort burned to the ground. An apparent kitchen fire in an annex at the Lake Placid Lodge broke out some time after 9 o'clock. There were no injuries. The main structure also suffered smoke and water damage. The Lodge -- first built in 1882 -- was one of the Adirondacks' premier luxury hotels, attracting famous guests including Britney Spears and Bill Gates. As Brian Mann reports, the fire could leave some of the resort's employees out of work just as the busy holiday season gets underway.