How to use NCPR podcasts
What is it? A podcast is a radio program delivered to your computer via the Internet. After you subscribe to a podcast from a source such as NCPR, each time you open your podcast application (see below), your computer will automatically download the latest episode of the program. You can then listen to the show on your computer, or transfer it to an iPod or other MP3 player so you can listen on the go.
What do you need? Despite the name, you do not need an iPod to listen to a podcast. You need a computer, an internet connection, and a podcast application. iTunes (free download here) is the most popular podcast application. Here's a list of others.
How do you subscribe to an NCPR podcast?
- Download and install one of the podcast applications above.
- If you chose iTunes, you can subscribe to any NCPR podcast just by clicking on the icon.
- To subscribe to a podcast using other podcast applications you will need the "feed address" for the podcast.
- Click on the "feed address" link next to any NCPR podcast.
- Ignore everything you see on the next page. Simply copy the web address from the address bar of your web browser (http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/ topstoryRSS.php?topic=topstory& podcast=true) for example).
- Open your podcast application and paste the address into the "new subscription" or "add feed" area.
- Once you are subscribed to a podcast, your computer will download new episodes of that podcast each time you open the podcast application.
- If you have an iPod or another MP3 player, you can then transfer your podcasts to that player.
Having trouble subscribing to our podcasts? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.